Friday, January 05, 2007

New Years Relationship Resolutions

In response to last week's Question of the Week, a few people were brave enough to write in with ways they hope to improve their relationships in the coming year. Shan resolved to be more open and outgoing -- to invest more time and energy in re-connecting with his friends. That sounds like a great plan to me!

SQT wrote: "My resolutions are to be less cranky with my husband and to thank him more. It's so easy to get bogged down in the everyday minutiae that I tend to forget I need to take the time to appreciate him." Good for you! As you can probably tell from previous posts, I'm a big believer in showing your partner how much you appreciate what they do. And every once in a while it doesn't hurt to say something like, "I just want you to know that I appreciate everything you do for me. I don't take it for granted." Easy to do, and oh so powerful.

AZGoddess says she wants "to be loving to myself...and then just relax and let others (family and friends) love me." That sounds like one of those resolutions that is easy to say, and it seems like it should be easy to do ... so why don't more of us do it? I hope it works out just like you said.

I'll make a relationship resolution too. My wife and I have three children. Sometimes I wonder if my expectations of the youngest guy are skewed because I forget what his older siblings were like when they were his age. I wonder if I expect too much from him at times. So my resolution is to have more patience with my youngest -- to spend as much time as I possibly can teaching life skills and handing out "attaboys." He definitely deserves the best I have to offer, because he's a great guy. (Okay, so I'm biased, but I'm sticking to that opinion.)

I'm looking forward to many more Dismaying Stories as 2007 unfolds. I hope all of you enjoy tremendous closeness with your loved ones this year!

1 comment:

  1. thanks doc...i've been working hard on making this my resolution

    and so glad to see you realize that your youngest is a great guy...sounds like you're on the right track with letting him be him..and giving him lots of strokes for what he does do good...

    ReplyDelete